Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Passing Notes

My student aids have used their sign in book as a way to pass notes to each other. Little phrases to one another just to say hi.
That reminded me of my days in high school. I used to have spiral notebooks with certain friends. We would pass notes back and forth with those notebooks. And when we finished, we would trade off who got to keep it. I still have quite a few of those. I loved those. We got to decorate them how we wanted and we got to say whatever we wanted in them. It was better than email!! :)
I also had a friend who lived out of town. We would actually send letters. I would wait not so patiently for his letter to arrive 7 or 8 days after I sent mine off. Sometimes we would race to see who could send it back the fastest. I loved going to the mailbox and seeing that he wrote me. I loved seeing his handwriting and noticing what all he scratched out and what he drew. I liked trying to see what he scratched out and what he was trying to write. I would dissect each letter while waiting on the next one. He sucks at email these days. Maybe we should go back to letters. Ha.
The other thing I remembered was in English class. I think 10th grade year? I wrote a little Hi! in the corner of my desk. A few days later, there was a hi back. I couldn't believe it. So me and this un-known person would leave little messages for each other on the desk! (shhh... don't tell my teachers. OR my students now!) Those little notes got longer and soon we were leaving notes inside the desk for each other. I think it was a while before we knew who each other was. It was kinda fun. A secret game and something to look forward to in English class :) He had the best handwriting in a boy I had ever seen!
Just some things I was thinking of today after I saw those little messages in the sign in book. Which of course, they are not supposed to do. Bad students :)

No comments:

Post a Comment